Tuesday 31 July 2012

Mistletoe and Wine

While I continue with a couple of secret projects, I'm going to take you back in time to last Christmas. Let me set the scene - it's cold outside, it's finally acceptable to have cheesy music on all the time, and you decide to make 8 pairs of oven gloves. Well, I did anyway. Making presents has become quite a tradition for the hubby and I, but this year took quite a lot of commitment. Between the end of October and Christmas, one evening a week became the oven glove evening. Never mind what else was going on, we had an oven glove schedule to stick to.

It was a fun adventure and I love the results, but there were definitely some challenges along the way! Back then I hadn't had much experience of sewing curves, and sewing them through 1 layer of batting, 2 layers of insul-bright and 4 layers of fabric was... an experience. I persevered and, thanks to much help and patience from Laurence, made it through with most of my sanity intact.

And here they are! I think it was worth it :)

5 of the 8

A pair for my musical brother-in-law

And our pair hanging up at home

I enjoyed adding some embroidery to some of the pairs. I think the below is my favourite.


I'll be linking up to the Small Blog Meet when tomorrow comes, so a big hello to anyone who's popped over from there :) I'm looking forward to exploring your blogs too! Will you be undertaking any big Christmas present sewing projects this year? I think I might take a year off!

Lily's Quilts

Here's a final shot. Love this fabric very much :)

35 comments:

  1. The gloves look great! I really like the embroidery on them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so nice to theme them to the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally recognize the stress of wanting to make gifts and trying to get them all done in time! I am actually planning on making pot holders or an oven mitt for my mother in law for Christmas. She really needs some new ones. Yours look great! Did you use a pattern for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marit :) I used a Cath Kidston pattern, I have the book but it's also available here:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/21/cath-kidston-oven-gloves-pattern
      I did things a bit differently - added insul-bright and added the hanging tab as I sewed on the binding rather than at the end at the join.

      Delete
  4. Your 'oven-glove evening' commitment is very dedicated (and made me smile!). I've never made oven gloves, but have made lots of pot-holders. Might give these a try, they look great! Did you use a walking foot to help sew through all those layers? Thanks for sharing. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat :) Unfortunately I don't yet have a walking foot - it's on my birthday list!

      Delete
  5. A walking foot will help a lot. I'm even more impressed now that you did it without one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I've never used a walking foot, so at the moment I don't really know what I'm missing!

      Delete
  6. Aw, what a cute little utensil pot! So clever! Happy Small Blog Meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Drawing credit goes to my hubby, my drawing skills are sadly lacking! Happy Small Blog Meet to you too :)

      Delete
  7. Love the embroidery on the corner. It adds a darling personal touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm not a huge fan of embroidery - hand sewing is a lot of work - but I love the effect it gives so I'll stick at it!

      Delete
  8. Those gloves are really cute, and the embroidery is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for Christmas gifts! I love the pink and blue striped one! www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what fab gift - so thoughtful.
    I love your embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the embroidery! Oven gloves were on my Xmas to do list as well last year, but never happened... Maybe this year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it :) I'd suggest making less than 8 pairs though...

      Delete
  12. These are darling! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi :) I figured they worked quite well as Christmas present, cos everybody regardless of gender or age can use them. Not sure I'll think of many other ideas where this applies!

      Delete
  13. Oh I love those! They are way cuter than the normal bulky oven mits I usually buy. I should try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Hope you give it a try :)

      Delete
  14. Hi! Popped in from Small Blog Meet. Love the oven mitts! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Lovely makes on your page!
    Popping by from Lily's quilts small bloog meet x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute Emma. I think my son-in-law would love something like this. I usually take a year off every so often and not give something homemade. I took off last year so this year I was thinking I really wanted to make two lap quilts for my parents. I found you at Lily's and I now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Hope you have fun making the lap quilts :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Emma, Popped over to be nosey, from the Mothy lotr- As well as a walking foot, you may find Quilting or Topstitch needles in your machine will help. I believe quilting needles ar a little bit sharper than standard machine needles, because they are expected to go through several layers of fabric in each stitch, so it gets them through the layers that little bit quicker. So that might be future help!

    ReplyDelete